Msgr. Connolly Circle No. 105 of Daughters of Isabella held a Mass and a banquet to celebrate its 100th anniversary Oct. 12 at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Monroe City.
Ventriloquist Michelle Todd of Hannibal provided the entertainment for the banquet.
Regina Miskell, the circle’s recent, said the 114-member circle continues to be active and growing.
Established in New Haven, Connecticut, in 1897 to promote the ideals of unity, friendship, and charity, the Daughters of Isabella is one of the largest Catholic women’s organizations in the world, with a membership of more than 60,000 women from the United States and Canada.
It is named for the 15th-century queen of Spain who is credited with promoting and preserving Christianity in her country and helping Christopher Columbus undertake his voyage to what came to be known as the New World.
The Msgr. Connolly Circle was formed Oct. 12, 1919, with 52 members.
They elected Alma Pierceall (Welch) as their first regent, and Monsignor Edward Connolly as chaplain.
He wound up serving the circle for 54 years.
A century of charity
Through the years, members of the Monroe City circle have performed many acts of charity, including establishment of Holy Rosary School’s first hot lunch program in 1948.
Members continue to offer support to the school and provides the courtesy award to one graduating eighth-grade boy and girl each year.
Other activities include visiting homebound and nursing home residents and financial support of welfare and civic projects.
Members also maintain a prayer chain and a spiritual bouquet of prayers for ill and deceased members.
They provide funeral dinners, leading a monthly rosary, and many other activities to promote camaraderie and fellowship among parishioners.
Members continue to uphold the values of unity, friendship and charity set forth by the founding members 100 years ago.
The circle paused during the celebration to recognize longtime members at the banquet, as well as Pauline Quinn and Juanita Yates, who died this year.
Veronica O’Connor, 100, is the oldest living member.
Father Gregory Oligschlaeger, pastor of Holy Rosary parish and of St. Stephen parish in Indian Creek, serves as chaplain.
Other honorees included: